A system of controlled exercises, designed to improve physical strength, flexibility, and posture, and enhance mental awareness.
What is Pilates
The focus is on precise, controlled movements with the emphasis on quality and form rather than the number of repetitions. The smooth, precise and flowing movements are designed to create greater body awareness.
The required mental concentration and coordinated breathing will develop your concentration and focus, thereby enabling you to get the full mind-body benefits that Pilates can provide.
All exercises are low impact and are performed either on a floor mat or using specially designed Pilates equipment.
Benefits of Pilates
Regular practice of Pilates has been shown to:
Why Choose Us
We believe it is all the small differences that help make a BIG difference to your Pilates experience. You will not find this level of experience, knowledge, passion and commitment
to Pilates anywhere else in Adelaide!
Highly qualified Instructors
- Our Pilates instructors are amongst the most qualified, knowledgeable and experienced in Adelaide.
- We are considered leaders in our field. We have been teaching Pilates for over 10 years. This makes us one the oldest and most experienced Pilates physiotherapy practices in Adelaide.
- Pilates is an extremely beneficial exercise method, but it is only as effective as your Pilates Physio’s level of expertise. We take pride in knowing that we are renowned and respected across the industry for the high quality of our Pilates instruction.
- All our instructors are physiotherapists – their expert knowledge of anatomy and physiology ensures that correct technique and range of exercises are taught for maximum results.
- This also means that they can adapt exercises as necessary for specific client issues and quickly spot client problems in class.
- All our physiotherapists are qualified or being trained in Polestar Pilates – this is the most rigorous and advanced Pilates training in Australia. It is only through extensive training and hours of practice that Pilates can be mastered and therefore taught well.
- Rachel Combe, Director, Gwendalyn Schmidt and Ellie Parnell, Physiotherapists, hold a Diploma of Pilates Practice – held by only a handful of physiotherapists in South Australia. As mentors to our other physios, they pass on their expertise through the practice so that all clients benefit.
- Rachel regularly attends Pilates conferences and courses both in Australia and overseas to ensure we have access to the most up to date research and developments in the field of Pilates.
- All clients have a number of private sessions before commencing classes. This not only helps the client to get better results, it also means that there is less interruption and stopping in class to correct someone’s technique.
- All our classes are 60 minutes duration – many competitors’ classes are 45-50 minutes.
- Generous 4 month expiry period on blocks of 10 classes. Many places require you to use your 10 classes in 10-14 weeks – we give you 4 months.
- Classes can usually be claimed on your Private Health Extras Cover, which means that the actual cost to you can be considerably less.
- Classes that are not run by physios can cost between $15-$20,but with no health rebate and without all of the benefits described previously.
- We offer rewards and bonuses for our most loyal clients, called ‘Devotees’, including special rates and free classes.
Quality studios & service
- The fully carpeted and air-conditioned studio ensures a comfortable environment. No hard wood floors or smelly gym carpets!
- A wide range of props are provided to ensure plenty of variety. Everything is supplied – you don’t have to lug your mat and pillow to class.
- New props are continually added to keep variety and motivation in class. Triad balls are not yet available in Australia and were recently added to our range of 8 different props. Chi Bolsters have also been added recently.
- We provide a wide range of FREE Pilates exercise sheets so you can practise at home.
- We sell our Pilates Proactive™ CDs as well as the full range of props so you can increase the benefits of Pilates through home practice.
- Full time admin staff to help with bookings and payment – so your Pilates instructor is focused on taking the class, not worrying about administrative matters.
Flexibility, variety and choice
- With 40 Pilates Mat classes a week, we offer the greatest choice of times and types of class available in Adelaide – so you’re sure to find a class that suits you. There are very few physio practices in Adelaide that run extensive mat classes – many practices only offer equipment classes and those that have mat classes usually have only a few per week.
- Flexible bookings – you are not locked into the same class for a whole term like some places. If you can’t make your regular class we can usually fit you into an alternative class.
- You can book in advance or as you go – it’s up to you how you plan and book your classes.
- You can cancel or change classes as you please – you won’t lose a class or be charged a fee if you are sick or get called into work at short notice. Many places charge the full fee if you cancel with less than 24 hours notice.
- Classes cater for all levels so you can continually improve your skills – choose from Gentle, Intermediate and Trim & Toned.
- We also have special interest classes –Men’s Pilates, Pilates Ball.
Award Winning Business
We have won a number of small business awards in recent years – this is testament to the skills and dedication of our staff as we strive to provide the best possible experience for our clients.
What we Treat
- Low back pain
- Neck, upper back and shoulder pain
- Hip and knee pain
- Work-related pain
- Pregnancy and postnatal recovery – click here for Pre/Post Natal Pilates benefits
- Specific sports and dance/musician-type injuries and technique enhancement
- Arthritis and general joint stiffness
Mat or Equipment
The Pilates physiotherapist will guide you through each exercise using visualisation, breathing and cueing techniques to ensure correct execution of each movement. Pilates Equipment Classes utilise specially designed equipment, such as the Reformer and Trapeze Table.
Participants take turns on each piece of equipment during which they perform exercises from their personalised program. There is a Pilates Physio on hand for assistance, however, for most of the time you will be working on your own, at your own pace, through your own equipment program.
Choosing initially between Pilates Mat Classes and a Pilates Equipment Program comes down to a number of factors:
- Injury or chronic condition such as osteoporosis
- Ability to get on/off the floor easily
- Specificity of exercise program
- Preferred learning style
- Individual personality and preferences
- Time constraints, flexibility & financial considerations
Your physiotherapist will discuss what option is best for you based on these factors and what your Pilates Assessment indicates.
Furthermore, we have all completed, or are studying towards, certification as Polestar Pilates Practitioners in Rehabilitation, which is one of most highly regarded Pilates qualifications in Australia.
It is extremely unique to have all staff trained under the same regime and as a consequence clients experience a smooth, consistent approach from all instructors. Our approach focuses on three key aspects:
It is the quality of each movement that counts, not the repetitions. Before attending any Pilates classes all participants are required to attend a Pilates Assessment as well as a number of individual sessions to learn the Pilates basics.
This individualised instruction ensures that clients are performing their Pilates exercises in a safe and effective manner before joining general classes. We also use Real-Time Ultrasound to assist clients in training their pelvic floor and deep abdominal muscles. Once clients attend classes, their technique is continually monitored and corrected if needed.
The experience of our Pilates physiotherapists and their in-depth knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathology allow them to quickly spot problems.
It is important that strengthening and stretching occurs in such a way as to maximise outcomes, as it is the combination of exercises that facilitates the effectiveness of any Pilates routine.
We have been teaching Pilates for over 10 years and have developed a unique style of instruction and blend of exercises that is both effective and inspiring.
We have a strong commitment to being leaders in Pilates practice and frequently attend Pilates courses both interstate and overseas. Three of our Practitioners have completed the Certificate IV in Pilates Instruction as well as the Diploma of Professional Pilates Practices, both highly regarded qualifications and held by only a handful of instructors across Australia.
This ensures we have access to the most up to date and progressive Pilates information, allowing us to continually challenge, stimulate and motivate our clients.